Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Relics

The relics of a sea beast washed ashore...


Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far, far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides: above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumbered and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie
Battening upon huge sea-worms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

"The Kraken" by Tennyson.

/O.K., with assistance of C.R.A.P.™

3 comments:

LS said...

The scientist in me says: but, but, but, Kraken is a giant squid and they don't have vertebrae inside them...

The poet in me says: More, more, read me more...

The artist in me says: What a wonderful blue and what wonderful compositing with the swirling alive water and the still as dead metal spine.

The Swede in me says: Where did you find that in Stockholm?

O.K. said...

"but, but, but..."
Haha, I _knew_ you would object; "that's a crankshaft, it won't float" etc. Don't worry though, that won't stop me.

I was thinking sea beast in a wide sense when I found it by lake Mälaren yesterday. And I really think the large passenger ferries sailing over the baltic are sea beasts.

LS said...

I am not objecting! I was just analyzing my thoughts ;)

But, this is an object, so maybe I am objecting after all? Any suggestion how a crankshaft showed up on a rock in Malaren?