Monday, October 6, 2008

I have recently been convinced...

...that sculpture as an art form can be really interesting. It doesn't have to be abstract, weird, dried clay things on pedestals in dusty museums. Instead it can be big, bold, outdoors, sturdy, fragile, wet, shiny, and just strange and fascinating. EH and I visited Grounds of Sculpture in Trenton/Hamilton, NJ, and it was an eye opener for me. I have uploaded photos from this place on my Flickr account, and here is a couple of tidbits. If I know the sculptor's name and the name of the work, then it is part of the file name, in case you would like to look up my more information. My favorite of the abstract ones were Wave by Brower Hatcher, and I also loved the different beasts made by Dana Stewart. You were allowed to touch the beasts, and we fed them with Cotoneaster berries that grew nearby. I really want to go back to this place and visit it all times of the year. Imagine this garden in winter with lights on the sculptures and a light snow fall. We didn't have time to visit the fancy restaurant Rats, which probably was good since we saved some money that way. But they have affordable lunches.









2 comments:

EH said...

Ah, I really like your photos, mine are still in the camera and USB-memory. The wave-art was fantastic, It reminded me of green insulators in Swedish powerlines. Only in so many other colors too.

LS said...

Yes, the insulator art was incredible, and I don't know exactly why. But I fell in love with it.