Monday, June 22, 2009

Why I don't like some modern things...

The image on the left is from this article that is really worth reading.

When the computer, car, iPod, digital camera, router, squeezebox, fridge, freezer, microwave, gas stove, sump pump, bike gears, cell phone, battery charger, etc. breaks down I don't know how to repair them. Things have gotten too complicated and unexplanatory, and especially those things that have micro chips and data code in them are impossible to repair yourself.

Our battery charger died about 8 months after we bought it - I guess we have to throw it out.

Our freezer has repeated problems with water leaks, and to get to the drainage pan you have to turn off and defrost the fridge for 2 days, then remove the whole ice maker which include about ten parts and 40 screws, and then you see the pan. Bad design.

When our SAAB in the 1990s had some mice living in its engine while parked outside, they chewed on the cable that had the microchip in it, of course. It was the most expensive cable in the car to replace, of course. And no warranty to cover things like that. Who knew that rodents like rubber? I bet many knew, but didn't care.

Computer problems are the worst, at least if you work with Windows-based systems. We are all supposed to be anti-viral, spyware scanning experts, and fix all their problems. We have seven computers in the house (I know, overkill, but some are old and not much used), and the only ones that never have problems are the Macs. Printers - we have three, only one that work. What happened to making things that last, things that you can understand and fix? I can service my sewing machine, change a tire on a bike, and build a raised bed, but I can't do anything if my cell phone breaks down or if the printer stops printing. Things are getting out of hand, and I miss the simplicity of easy, well-made things. I think so much of frustration in society is because of this, the lack of power of things we use.

It is such a waste. I just ordered a recycling package for my old cellphone so it won't end up in a landfill and will be given as a 911 phone to some needy senior or woman suffering from domestic violence. But why aren't these things done by default? Why do we have to seek them out? Why doesn't companies in New Jersey need to recycle? Why aren't regular batteries recycled? Things are too cheap, it is not worth to repair and recycle, or things are not made to last if they are expensive. Slit-och-släng (Wear and throw away) is back again. That is my rant for today.

As PP says "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." (an expression from the Depression in the 1930s)

1 comment:

EH said...

My motto is "recycle, reduse, reuse.

I love going to 2nd hand stores, and I save a bit of money too. And one of the good things are, if it lasted to the second hand store, it might be good quality and last a lifetime.

Since a while back I look for old wooden puzzles. They are so much better than the cardboard ones. Often they are stored in boxes with no picture on them.