Friday, October 23, 2009

Good stuffing!

When I moved to America, I didn't know much about winter squashes and not much about cooking. But I learned quickly. PP taught me this dish, which is absolutely fantastic and still probably unknown in Sweden, since winter squashes are so rare there. You take a large winter squash (Hubbard for example, but could work with others), cut it in half, and bake it until nearly soft (upside down, after removing the seeds, which can be saved and roasted). In the meantime you cook onion, peppers, and sausage (the real kind, not falukorv, so in Sweden you would have to use ground meet and lots of herbs) in a frying pan, until nearly cooked through. Fresh herbs and garlic helps. You take out the squash from the oven, turn it over and scoop in all the meat-onion mix in the center of the squash and put it back in the oven for 30 min of so. Then you eat. The squash takes up the flavor from the sausage mix and vice versa and it is incredibly delicious. A favorite fall dish and a favorite at our house. Thanks PP, for teaching me how to make this.

1 comment:

Katie H said...

I tried to grow winter squashes this year when I moved back to Sweden, but like my pumpkins, they failed. Sad. Guess I have to be home more and weed and all that...

There's always next year!

Have you seen the vitsippor are becoming fall flowers in Sweden too? Never seen that before.