Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stamp of the Day: The love and hate of cilantro

Some people hate cilantro ('koriander"), and think it tastes like soap.  I used to be one of them, but changed after I had some really good Asian and Mexican dishes with it.  Now I only really don't like celery, especially root celery (celeriac).  A little of it cooked in soups is OK, but raw celery is not my thing. I am not sure it is genetic since my family all loves celery and cilantro, but it certainly is something biological about it.  AREA loves to eat whole celery sticks dipped in peanut butter.

The NY Times article I linked to above is currently the most e-mailed article on the NY Times website - it must really have struck a cord with the readers.  Who knew we cared so much about cilantro, a tiny little herb?

The stamp is from Israel and shows cilantro (Coriandrium sativum) in its full glory. 

2 comments:

EH said...

But how about selleri LS? :-)

LS said...

hehe, EH - celery is selleri... I do not like it. Only when cooked... I love all other plants in that family, so why that one?