Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shaking light

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!   Literally... in this case.  This is from one of the tunnels on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, which goes between Chama (in New Mexico) and Antonito (in Colorado). We rode the 65 miles at 2500+ m elevation through forests, undeveloped valleys, and along sharp bends and high lines. That is higher than the highest mountain in Sweden. Gorgeous country, this America...

Being in a tunnel pulled by a 1925 K-36 steam engine gives you smoke and cinders in your hair, ears and nose, but it is a great experience. The photo above is a color photo by the way :)
More photos from our trip will be coming soon...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm looking forward to pictures/stories from your trip!

Chad Lebo said...

Please post more about this. Northern New Mexico is one of my favorite places on Earth. I hope you had a chance to have a green chili burger while in the area. I will most certainly look up the railway next time I'm around that neck of the woods.

Also, thank you so much for using "literally" in its correct sense. Using it incorrectly is a personal and intense grammar pet peeve.