Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Stamp of the day: the power of wind and lines

We are continuing our little series (2 so far) of energy related stamps, here with a Swedish stamp featuring wind power (vindenergi).  I love the clean lines... Sweden stuck to real engraved stamps for along time, and some are still done this way, but I think most American stamps by now are made with less time-consuming graphical techniques. The engraver of this one, Czeslaw Slania, was the master of Swedish engraving, and in fact, the world master of stamp engraving and world famous for his work for 28 countries.  He was hired by the Swedish postal office in 1959. Here is the 1000th stamp he engraved: link.

2 comments:

Bcteagirl said...

I do love engraved stamps! :) When I was still actively collecting the Swedish ones were some of my favourites :)

LS said...

I love the Swedish ones too, except the newer ones that are made from children's art. I like the thin details of the engravers...