Sunday, October 16, 2011

What do you think about this ceiling lamp?

Gorgeous? Ugly? Weird? Wonderful?  It is called ”Alaska”, and costs 7600 SEK (which is about $1500). Photo credit Fredrik Funk, and the lamp is sold by Watt & Veke in Sweden.   They have more of the same mixed style, look at this: Aspen and Finere.

I think this lamp is very ugly.  When you see sticks like this out in nature, they are gorgeous.  When Andy Goldsworthy puts together his art of a jumble of sticks along a seashore it is gorgeous (see link and photo here). But this, this reminds me of a crow nest, and feels far to 'over-designed' ("utstuderat" is what I wanted to say, but I don't know that expression in English). The contrast between the wood and the black is too much!  I also think it will make weird shadows from the lamps, so not very functional either. OK, that is my opinion, what is yours? I bet you think differently! :)

More crazy nature-inspired design things here

No comments: