Monday, December 3, 2012

Stamp of the day: The most amazing creatures...

Have you ever seen a live nudibranch in the wild open sea? (nakensnäcka in Swedish).  I think I might have seen one once, off the coast of Norway on the island of Runde.  I know I definitely saw a squid there, swimming in the kelp, while I was kayaking on the sea surface and being amazed at all the amazing sealife we didn't have in the biodiversity-poor Baltic Sea.  Anyway, nudibranchs are so incredibly cool. They swim, sail, change shape, and have the most amazing colors and patterns.  If I am reborn as an animal I often think I butterfly or cross beak (bird) might be fun, but recently I have been thinking nudibranchs might have a really interesting life too.  Some float around in the sea as plankton until they find an interesting place, others eat algae until them themselves become photosynthetic.  Life is truly amazing...

Stamps are from Australia and all about nudibranchs...

No comments: