Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Birds on Google

Today Google celebrates the 226-year birthday of John James Audubon, a famous painter of birds and other wildlife and wild plants in the USA.  I love the random 226 - not just the expected 100, 200, 250...   Here is today's Google logo if you missed it. It is kind of hard to see the letters for all the birds.

I really like that Google spreads knowledge around the world in ways like this. My favorite Audubon painting is the one of mockingbirds defending their nest in a yellow jessamine plant against a rattlesnake.  (Click on link to see image). I love that particular plant (Gelsemium sempervirens), and mockingbirds are fascinating even if sometimes annoying, and I am scared and fascinated by rattlesnakes.  The Gelsemium plant is very, very toxic as well.

No comments: